Thursday, January 8, 2015

Exodus: Gods and Kings

I'm a fan of action movies, and I knew that the executive producer of Gladiator would have an interesting take on Moses. I am also a graduate student majoring in the Hebrew Bible (aka Old Testament), and I know that the Bible is not usually looked upon as action fodder. So it was with skepticism that I watched Exodus: Gods and Kings on the big screen yesterday.

I was in for a treat. Ridley Scott does for this old Biblical story of exile and empire what Anita Diamant did in her book The Red Tent for the stories in Genesis. Where the Bible is terse--which is the norm in this 3400 year old story--Scott fills in with what I found not only to be a plausible telling, but also one in which was moving, beautiful, and oh yeah, full of action as well.

Computer animation was used, but the parting of the Red Sea was more credible than one would expect using a green screen and computer programmers. Even more impressive than the special effects was the back story that Scott brought forth, showing the tension between "brothers" Moses (Christian Bale) and Ramses (Joel Edgerton). With a supporting cast including John Turturro, Ben Mendelsohn, Sigourney Weaver, and Ben Kingsley, one can expect (and rightfully so) that this movie is not just an action flick, but rather an epic struggle which contains action sequence, much in the way that Gladiator blended drama and action.

As I watched the movie, I continually looked for some way that the characters or storyline would part way with the Bible, or for some sense of disingenuousness either in character, dialogue, or motive. And to be sure, there will be those literal readers of the Bible who are not happy with some of the choices Scott makes in this film. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find not the simplistic characters found in Sunday School class long ago, and instead a compelling story with vivid and complex characters who brought the story alive. What I found was me wishing that Scott creates a sequel.

In theaters now. 2D and 3D versions available.

Rating: Dahlworthy




No comments:

Post a Comment